Tuesday, July 25, 2017

The crossing from Sydney to Vancouver....Part 2

Our 18 day long cruise came to an end and we pulled into Hawaii.  I was very excited to go back to the Aloha islands but for us since it's our first US call it also means a lot of work and inspections. We had to put all guests and crew through full immigration, we also had to prepare for a coast guard inspection and a public health inspection.  Our first days were quite hectic but I still managed to get out in most ports even if it meant sacrificing sleep.  


We had an overnight in Honolulu but I didn't have a chance to spend a lot of time out.  Honolulu is located in Oahu and it's the most cosmopolitan and busiest Hawaiian city.  It's the only one that I can recall that has high rises and high end shops.  I managed to meet up with one of my friends who is originally from the big island, I haven't seen her in about 8 years.  We grabbed some drinks on a roof top patio at the mall downtown Honolulu.  Oh how I have missed North American customer service! The service culture outside of N. America simply can not be matched anywhere else.  Australia and the islands don't have a tipping culture and as a result service isn't exceptional, timely or in cases of some places existent at all.  It was so nice to have consistent and friendly service but then again, I remember that I am tipping this time around so I was in fact paying for it but hey, it was worth it.   We had a few cocktails and then we strolled through the downtown area adjacent to the beach.  

Pulling into Maui
We did two calls to Maui. In the first one I couldn't go out but the second one I managed to get some friends together, rented a car and went off to explore the Road to Hana.  I have been there before in 2009 and I truly enjoyed all the sites and I really wanted my friends to have the same experience.  Six of us piled into a car, armed with a GPS and a map we took off on a driving adventure.  We stopped quite frequently and went off on little hikes here and there and took photos.  All was good until one of my peeps confessed that he gets motion sickness and then proceeded to throw up the six mangoes he ate earlier. Who eats six mangoes in one shot?  The road to Hana is very winding and the journey is the destination, there is tons to see along the way. The sites are stunning, take a look for yourself.  


Road side organic smoothie stand

That view!

Rainbow Eucalyptus Tree

Botanical gardens







Honaunau
The Big Island has always been very special to me.  This would be my third time on the Big Island and in Kona. I have close dear friends there that are more like family to me. There is something about that island and it's people that just feels like home to me.  This is one of the few places on the planet where I can feel the Earth's vibration.  It is so deeply peaceful and spiritual here.  The people are open and warm and willing to share their story and whatever they have with you.

My dear friend Malia came to pick us up and took us to Pu'uhonua O Honaunau .  I love the feel of this community. Malia's Father Rafa  has his canoe club here and they build traditional Hawai'ian canoes and race them between the islands.  It's not a spot where you find a lot of tourists but rather you will find locals with their entire families setting up shop on the shore with their home made foods and drinks for a family day.  Kona is a place where family and community are still highly valued and I love that.  You can see that in the way that the locals greet me and my friend as we stroll through the waterfront.  


Honaunau was a place of refuge for many.  If you were running from something this is where you would come to hide out and seek immunity.  The site features Hawai'ian sculptures and totem poles as well as some traditionally made huts.  As my friends and I made our way around the site, we were able to spot beautiful Honus (turtles) in the water just feet away from us and a school of yellow fish.  Around the corner from the poles and statues is a landscape littered with black lava rock.  The sky has a mysterious darkness to it.  Malia tells me its Vog which is a haze that contains volcanic ash and dust from the nearby Hawaii National Park which has an active volcano. 







Malia took us around a bit and we went around to the most scenic vistas and picked up some Kona staples including Donkey Balls and of course some Kona Coffee, best coffee in the world.  We finished off the day with getting some poke (raw fish meal) that was absolutely delicious and then we had a cocktail across from the pier.


There is just something so special to me about the Big Islands.  If you have ever been to Hawaii then you know that each island has a different personality.  The Big Island holds something so deeply spiritual to me.  Maybe it's the Goddess Pele calling me back, maybe it's the volcano, the black sand beaches, the turtles or the dolphins I spotted or maybe its the Hawaiian culture and her people, Malia and her family....there's just something so mystical and incredible about this place.

Farewell Cocktail

After all this excitement, we decided to take it really easy in Kauai. As our friends helicoptered and drove around the island, we opted for a nice meal by the waterfront and some beach time.   The three of us strolled to the nearby waterfront and had a nice meal. We then spent the rest of the day in the ocean and admiring the view of our ship. On our way back we blew more then we planned on Hawaiian souvenirs and prezzies for our loved ones. I scored an awesome pink hibiscus suitcase and I was happier then a piglet in sh**.





Kauai was our last Hawaiian stop and we were just five sea days away from our final destination of Vancouver, Canada.


The weather got progressively cooler and we were all starting to doubt our clothing preparations for what was lying ahead.  There was also a lot of rain.

We were all super excited to reach out destination but at the same time so tired from the constant time changes.  We have also pushed ourselves to the limit trying to see as much of the ports as we could and working late into the night when we should have been sleeping. We were all burning the candle at both ends but you know what? It was worth it and I would do it again and again.

What an experience of a lifetime.  How many people get to do this? How many people get to cross the Pacific Ocean and see all these beautiful places? 30 days that I will never forgot. So many crew members hope and pray to get to have this experience and we were the lucky chosen ones.

Forever Grateful for this!
Downtown Vancouver
On April 30th we reached Vancouver, Canada!  My country! Although I am from the other side, it felt really good to put my feet on Canadian ground.  

Of course I had to get Tim Horton's coffee and doughnuts and bring some back for my friends and the Captain after I've ranted and raved about them.

We walked around the waterfront and I managed to meet up with one of my childhood friends who relocated here a few years back.

It was such a proud moment that have finally reached out final destination and it being my home country at the same time.  Sometimes I forget how beautiful Canada is. I go all over the world admiring other countries, I need to stop and admire mine too!



Steam clock in Gas Town

Tim Horton's!


Proud Canadian



No comments: