Friday, July 07, 2017

South Pacific: Fiji

Fiji is an interesting place.  We stopped in two ports twice each; Port Denarau and Suva.

Port Denarau is a stunning and gorgeous resort island.  My mates and I spent the day exploring it with a tour of a typical Fijian village.  It's interesting to see that these traditions have not died over the years. Men are in charge of the village but they also wear skirts.  What I learned that long ago a Fijian went to school in England and saw a Scotsman in a kilt and when he came back he decided to instill a bit of that in Fiji.  They don't call it a skirt, they call it a pocket sarong and it's even part of the boys' school uniforms.

We watched local performances and were offered the local Kava drink but I opted out since I am not so sure if I would pass a drug test after sipping it. Fiji is hotter then the sun and we were caught in the rain in a matter of minutes as we were leaving the village. The remainder of the day we spent in the botanical gardens.

Port Denerau is green and lush, Suva was more like a hardcore city.  There was a cool market right near the pier where you could buy fruits, veggies and other local products like coconut oil and frangipani oil.  It was so unbelievably hot we ended up going shopping for a quick minute and then off for an ice cold beer. My friend introduced me to this store that had these stunning local prints in gorgeous dresses, shirts and sarongs. If you ever go through Suva you must stop at Pacific Island Art









No comments: