Thursday, June 22, 2017

Not so summer time reading....

And what I mean by 'not so summer' is that the books pertain more to one's development as a leader rather than personal development or fun, fluffy reading (which I also do from time to time to give my overthinking brain a break).  Nevertheless both are great books that have been recommended to me by colleagues and I think anyone in a leadership or management role would benefit from reading them.  This book  I really enjoyed; Creating Magic by Lee Cockerell. Several of my colleagues have read it and recommended it.  Lee shares his strategies and lessons that he has learned over the years from failing time and time again in different jobs in the hospitality industry.  He then talks about how he's been able to apply those lessons at Disney.  I enjoyed the audio book as it's read by him and he has a particular southern twang, shows how much I miss the south.  Lee shares some very important lessons but the biggest take away at the end of the day is that it's all about the people. It's the people that work for you that make you successful and you need to take good care of them.  Doing what I do every day, this didn't come as a surprise to me at all. However, every day I watch in horror how this has not become apparent to other people in management roles.  I strongly suggest this book for all leadership roles whether seasoned or new.

This book on the other hand focuses on energy in the work place. Being the hippie that  I am I was able to identify to this management book on another level as well.  The book basically talks about putting out the kind of energy that you need to get back and getting people either on your 'bus' or off your 'bus' to get where you want to get to. Although not mentioned in the book it of course falls under the Law of Attraction. What you put out in the world is what you get back. The universe makes sure of that. The more I read, whether it's management, spiritual or what not, the more I find that all of these theories and laws are one and the same.  A solid management book that uses metaphors rather than life lessons, a good read for anyone who is into The Secret or Law of Attraction.  






No comments: